What would you like to install/update?
Headwind MDM binary installer – click if you’re doing a new installation
Web panel WAR file – click if you’re doing a web panel update
Android application (launcher) – click if you’re doing a launcher update
Already tried to install and need more details? Follow the advanced manual and setup Headwind MDM web panel working through HTTPS.
Install from a binary installer (Ubuntu/Debian)
Notice: The binary installer works on Ubuntu (or Debian) Linux only. However, you can install Headwind MDM on any OS. Download the archive containing web panel WAR file and read INSTALL-MANUAL.txt for details.
1. Install required software
# sudo apt update
# sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk aapt tomcat8 postgresql
2. Make sure Tomcat is running
# telnet localhost 8080
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
(if you get “Connection refused” error, fix the installation issue)
3. Create the PostgreSQL database and user
# sudo su postgres
postgres=# CREATE USER hmdm WITH PASSWORD 'topsecret';
postgres=# CREATE DATABASE hmdm WITH OWNER=hmdm;
4. Run the installer script (as root)
# sudo ./hmdm_install.sh
5. On success, the installer script provides you with the URL. Open Headwind MDM in browser.
Web panel upgrade instructions
To upgrade already installed web panel version:
1. Unzip the file if required; you’ll get a WAR file and a hmdm.xml configuration file.
2. Open hmdm.xml and check which new parameters are added in new versions.
3. Update the web app configuration file usually located at $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/Catalina/(hostname)/(appname).xml (add new parameters if required).
4. Copy the WAR file to $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/(appname).war
5. The WAR file must be automatically re-deployed by Tomcat and you must get an updated version.
Android app (launcher) upgrade instructions
1. Sign in to your web panel and open the “Applications” tab.
2. Click “Add”, then either upload the APK file or copy the URL from our website.
3. Click “OK” to upload the file.
4. Select the configurations on which you’d like to update the launcher (or click Cancel to skip this step).
5. The launcher must automatically download and update itself on each device. If it won’t, tap the “Refresh” button on the device to force download and update.
6. Some Android devices will ask to choose the default launcher. Select “Headwind MDM Launcher” as default.